Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

    Celebrity

      No Results Found

      View All
      Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

      The Name of a River

      2002 1 hr. 30 min. Drama List
      Reviews A couple crossing the India-Bangladesh border reflect on their love. Read More Read Less

      Audience Reviews

      View All (0) audience reviews
      Audience Member How fascinating to know that it is God the one that is behind the order of the films I watch, and He is the reason of my progress. What promised since the opening images to be a haunting stream-of-consciousness that flowed as preciously as the stream of a river that separates two worlds, and a work of art that transformed humble landscapes and colonial architecture into striking poetry, turned simultaneously into a reflection of pervasive longing-for-home prevalence. River as a line. River as a division. Having walked briefly through Ritwit Ghatak's partition trilogy, Meghe Dhaka Tara is referenced as an illusion to "be", and Subarnarekha as a discussion of how home cannot become a symbol of continuous destructive suffering, because "home in Subarnarekha is a lie". "Following the path of Shita and Abhiram"... We literally follow it! I missed visiting that place :') Astonishing to see not only a work of art of this magnitude with so much soul, but also to see the impact of a legendary filmmaker like Ghatak on the generations that followed, his cinema being considered as a "second home". If you haven't seen Ghatak before, you'll understand 80% of the film at most, but the remaining 20% is a beautiful treasure. 97/100 Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/22/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

      Cast & Crew

      Critics Reviews

      View All (1) Critics Reviews
      Dennis Harvey 48 Hills A stirring mix of male athleticism, poetry and nature. Sep 22, 2023 Full Review Read all reviews

      Movie Info

      Synopsis A couple crossing the India-Bangladesh border reflect on their love.
      Director
      Anup Singh
      Executive Producer
      Steve Brookes, P. Parameswaran
      Screenwriter
      Madan Gopal Singh, Anup Singh
      Genre
      Drama
      Original Language
      Bangla